Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Kelly's Bridal Shower

This weekend, 3 of my mom's best friends hosted a couple's shower for my sister and her fiance Nick. Since a) I'm totally cheap and b) I have two more showers of hers to go to, I decided to make them a gift. Heck, I've been pinning away on my pinterest boards. Might as well have something to show for it.

This was my inspiration.


Step 1: Get the maps. Kelly and Nick met at the University of Oregon even though they didn't start dating until they were both living in Portland working for Fred Meyer. They plan on marrying in a small chapel in Sisters, Oregon with their reception at Black Butte Ranch. And they live with their adorable Boston Terrier Charlie in Portland.


Julie D at work graciously let me use her color printer even though it was for personal reasons. (Really had to pull her arm to help me out with this project on a slow Friday with everyone else out of the office on various summer vacations!)


I thought the hearts were a little corny, so I decided to use circles instead.


Unfortunately, when I lined the three circles up, it looked like a stoplight. Luckily, Mark's cousin, Lauren was visiting. Lauren's an art history major and a wonderful artist in her own right. Her recommendation of placing a line of pink down the center pretty much saved the project.



I then shamelessly recruited Lauren to do the "handwriting" part of the project since my handwriting looks like an ADHD first grader after a pixie stick party.


And of course she did a magnificent job.


And here's the finished product! FYI Kelly and Nick's colors are pink and navy. Unfortunately, I spent so much time creating the present that I didn't realize that all I had to wrap it was an old towel and some leftover Christmas wrapping paper. All those pinterest DIY'ers would be so horrified ;)



Moment of truth! I think they like it. Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I made them re-enact opening the present because I totally forgot to get a picture of their reaction. Hence, M's "are you kidding me," face in the background. 





1 comment:

  1. And this is how you know I'm "old" (34)... my first thought, as someone who went through h.s. and college without the internet, was:

    Wow, getting those random maps must have been a lot of work... I wonder if she called the Chambers of Commerce and had them mailed?? Oh right... you can just print them.

    ReplyDelete